AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HOLY TRINITY, CHELSEA: SLOANE STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P74/TRI
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HOLY TRINITY, CHELSEA: SLOANE STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Date(s): 1832-1980
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.88 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Holy Trinity, Chelsea | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Holy Trinity in Sloane Street was constructed between 1828 and 1830 as a chapel of ease to Saint Luke's, then parish church of Chelsea. The area of Upper Chelsea was assigned to Holy Trinity as a separate parish in 1832. The parish merged with that of Saint Jude's Church in 1892. In 1888 the church was demolished as it was too small and was rebuilt by 1907 to seat 1,800. It was designed by J.D. Seddings and included decoration by William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones. The church is considered to be an excellent example of the Arts and Crafts movement; there was outcry in the 1970s when it was threatened with destruction and Sir John Betjeman contributed a poem to the campaign to save it. In 1997 the living was suspended as the church was so poorly attended.

Source of information: 'Religious history: Church extension', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 12: Chelsea (2004), pp. 250-258.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Holy Trinity, Chelsea, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns of marriage; parish magazines; year books; histories of the church; papers of parish charities; preachers' book; curates' licences; papers relating to parish boundaries including plans; papers relating to the maintenance of the church buildings and fittings, including plans; financial records; Vestry minutes and Parochial Church Council minutes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged into sub-series according to record type or subject (e.g. registers or parish administration).

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street, Chelsea deposited by the Rector in the Greater London Record Office, 25 February 1972. Additional records of Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street, Chelsea, deposited by the Rector in the Greater London Record Office, 8 May 1980, 1 July 1980 and 12 August 1980.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING