AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, HAREFIELD: CHURCH HILL, HILLINGDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/080
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, HAREFIELD: CHURCH HILL, HILLINGDON
Date(s): 1538-1994
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.95 linear metres (251 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary the Virgin, Harefield | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

A priest is first mentioned in the manor of Harefield in 1086. In the late 12th century the advowson was given to the Knights Hospitallers, although the Newdigate family later became patrons of the church. The church building has some medieval features, but was restored and altered in 1768 and again in 1841. During the First World War Harefield Park became an Australian hospital, and an Australian graveyard was established in the church grounds.

From: 'Harefield: Church', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 252-256. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary the Virgin, Harefield, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, burials, preachers and church services; financial accounts; Churchwardens' accounts, reports, and papers relating to the maintenance of the church buildings and the churchyard; Vestry minutes; financial accounts of the Parish Constable and the Surveyors of Highways; papers of the Overseers of the Poor including settlement, bastardy and apprenticeship orders, and papers relating to pauper lunatics; papers of parish charities and schools.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in subfonds: A: Incumbent; B: Churchwardens; C: Vestry; D: Constable; E: Overseers of the Poor; F: Surveyors of the Highway; G: Charities; H: Schools; J: Miscellaneous and 1: Registers and Church Building.

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish registers deposited by the vicar, 21 May 1990, with a further accession in 1998.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING