AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, STANWELL: HIGH STREET, STANWELL, SURREY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/022
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, STANWELL: HIGH STREET, STANWELL, SURREY
Date(s): 1632-1991
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.88 linear metres (193 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary the Virgin, Stanwell | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Stanwell was situated in the west of Middlesex. It is bordered by Staines, the River Colne, East Bedfont and Hounslow Heath. In 1930 the parish was 3,934 acres in size. The first endowment of a church in Stanwell was probably in 1204. By around 1250 the rectory of Stanwell had become a sinecure, and by 1254 there was a vicarage. In 1415 the advowson was given to Chertsey Abbey. This was surrendered to the Crown in 1537 and the advowson has remained the property of the Crown since then, although it was often leased out. The oldest parts of the church of Saint Mary date to the 13th century, while further additions date to the 14th century and restorations were carried out in 1863. The graveyard was mentioned in 1337 but was closed for burials in 1895. The church ran missions in Hithermoor Road and West Bedfont.

Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 33-49. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St Mary the Virgin, Stanwell, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage and services; papers relating to parish boundaries; papers relating to the benefice, glebe lands and tithes; papers of the Churchwardens relating to accounts, visitation, and the maintenance of the church fabric and the churchyard; Vestry minutes and papers; Parochial Church Council minutes and papers; papers of the Overseers of the Poor relating to rates, financial accounts, the workhouse, settlement and poor relief; financial accounts of the Surveyor of the Highways; notices of the Constable; and papers of parish charities, the Church of England School and church societies.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in 10 sub-fonds: A: Incumbent; B: Churchwardens; C: Vestry; D: Parochial Church Council; E: Overseers of the Poor; F: Surveyor of the Highways; G: Constable; H: Charities; J: Schools and M: Miscellaneous.

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in December 1970.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING