AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/097
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1895-1995
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.9 linear metres (129 documents).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Matthew, Willesden | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

1894: London Diocesan Home Missions Committee appoints Rev George H Newton missioner for future parish of St Matthew's.
1895: Iron mission church completed on future church site, corner of St Mary's Road and St John's Avenue.
1900: Contract signed for building of permanent church.
1901-1906: Building of St Matthew's Church, designed by William Douglas Caroe, architect to Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
1902: Order in Council creating parish of St Matthew out of parishes of St Mary Willesden and All Souls Harlesden.
1910: Foundation stone of parish hall laid.
1940: Parish hall destroyed by bombing.
1952: Parish hall reopens after rebuilding.
1970: Rural deanery of Brent (including St Matthew) transferred from Archdeaconry of Hampstead to new Archdeaconry of Northolt.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Matthew, Willesden, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, confirmations, preachers and church services; orders of service, service programmes, and hymn sheets; papers relating to the creation of the parish; papers relating to the construction of the church; papers relating to the maintenance of church buildings and fittings, including faculties and inventories; papers relating to the church hall; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; Church Building Committee minutes; financial accounts; papers of church societies and clubs; parish magazines, yearbooks and other special publications; newspaper cuttings; and papers of the ecumenical council.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

DRO/097/001-044, 127-129: Parish Registers; DRO/097/045-126: Other Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in four accessions; in April 1994, September 1996, January 1998 and August 2000.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"