AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MICHAEL, WANDSWORTH COMMON: CHATHAM ROAD, WANDSWORTH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P70/MIC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MICHAEL, WANDSWORTH COMMON: CHATHAM ROAD, WANDSWORTH
Date(s): 1872-1995
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.94 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Michael, Wandsworth Common | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1872 Canon Erskine Clarke, vicar of Saint Mary, Battersea felt that there was an "urgent need for a school for young children and for some place in which meetings for worship can be held and it is hoped that an Iron Building will be put up in or near Chatham Road". Philip Cazenove bought the land and on 8 August 1872 the Iron School House opened in which Sunday evening services were held by the Reverend Henry Verdon for seven years.

On his death and that of Philip Cazenove in 1880, Canon Erskine Clarke proposed the building of Saint Michael's Church as a joint memorial to the two men. The architect W. White was commissioned to provide a church to seat about 750 people. The memorial stones were laid by the Archbishop of Canterbury on 1 June 1881. The Church was dedicated on 10 September by the Bishop of Rochester and consecrated on 24 August 1883. A year later a separate parish was created and the first vicar of Saint Michael's instituted on 15 December 1884.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the church of Saint Michael, Wandsworth Common, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations, and church services; Parochial Church Council and Vestry minutes; deeds and papers regarding church buildings and the school site; faculties and other papers relating to church building maintenance; correspondence regarding church redevelopment; papers regarding parish boundaries; papers relating to organisations run by the church including the day centre; financial accounts; booklets and parish magazines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

P70/MIC/001-030: Parish Registers; P70/MIC/031-214: Other Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in July 1996, with further accessions in August 1996 and August 2007.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING