AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/136
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1904-1999
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.7 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Ealing | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint James has its origins as the Mission Church of Saint John, founded in 1889. Services were held in an iron building in Alexandra Street and a Mission Hall in Talbot Road. Under Reverend Evan Jones, money was raised to construct a larger building for services. A site was purchased in West Ealing by the Bishop of London's Fund and a foundation stone laid in 1903. In 1905, a parish was specifically created for Saint James. The red brick building designed in a Gothic style by W. Pywell was finally completed in 1909.

From the mid-1960s, the numbers attending Saint James declined. In 1984, the church closed and services moved to Saint John. By 1990, the building had become derelict and was threatened with demolition. In reaction to this, a small group from Saint John's Church decided to try to save the church. After many years of building work, Saint James reopened in 2004.



Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint James, Ealing, including baptism registers (1905 - 1999); marriage registers (1905 - 1984); banns of marriage registers (1953 - 1989); confirmation registers (1924 - 1983); parochial statistics; papers relating to induction of clergy, benefice, church building, church hall, and sequestration.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

DRO/136/A Parish Registers;
DRO/136/B Church Services/ Work of Clergy;
DRO/136/C Church Personnel;
DRO/136/D Parish Boundaries/ Benefice;
DRO/136/E Church Buildings.

Conditions governing access:

The records are open and available for consultation.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in May 1999 and in 2010.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also Saint John, Northfields: Mattock Lane, Ealing (DRO/116).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"