AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HOLY TRINITY, HAMPSTEAD: FINCHLEY ROAD, CAMDEN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P81/TRI
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HOLY TRINITY, HAMPSTEAD: FINCHLEY ROAD, CAMDEN
Date(s): 1872-1968
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.74 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Holy Trinity, Hampstead | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Holy Trinity Church was built in 1871, to replace a temporary wooden church situated in Belsize Lane. The parish consisted of approximately five hundred acres, covering most of south west Hampstead. The foundation stone of the new church was laid in 1871 by the Victorian philanthropist and social reformer, the seventh Earl of Shaftesbury. The building was completed in less than a year, and consisted of a large nave and side aisles. A chancel was added in 1875, and an organ installed a few years later.

Holy Trinity was an expensive church, costing seventeen thousand pounds to build. The architect, Henry Legg, employed specially deepened concrete foundations under the steeple to guard against vibrations from trains when the Metropolitan railway line was extended beyond Swiss Cottage.

In 1874 a daughter church and school were founded at West End Village. This separated from Trinity parish to become Emmanuel parish in 1885.

In 1882 a mission church was built in the extreme west of the parish. This was replaced by a permanent building four years later, and the new parish of St Cuthberts was created.

Once the new Holy Trinity Church was in use, the temporary church in Belsize Lane was used as a parish school. This building was eventually demolished to make way for Fitzjohn's Avenue. A new school was built just south of Trinity Church on a site donated by local land owners the Maryon Wilsons. It was able to accommodate two hundred children. In the 1920s a portion of the grounds was sold for redevelopment, the proceeds of the sale being used to renovate and extend the school buildings. By the 1950's there were three infant and three junior classes, making a total of two hundred and fifty one children.

In 1968 a private parliamentary bill authorised the demolition of Holy Trinity Church and the redevelopment of the site. The church was vacated in 1974, when it was demolished and a smaller one built in its place.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Holy Trinity, Hampstead, including registers of baptisms, marriages, and banns of marriage; financial records; Parochial Church Council minute books and correspondence; church service registers; curates' licences and related papers; papers relating to parish boundaries; papers relating to glebe lands; records of the Churchwardens; papers relating to the maintenance of church buildings including the vicarage and parochial rooms; minutes, legal documents and correspondence relating to Trinity National School; papers of the Overseas Club; parish newsletters and annual reports.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

P81/TRI/001-024: Parish Registers; P81/TRI/025-211: Other Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by a Churchwarden of Holy Trinity Church, Finchley Road, on 14 November 1991.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING