AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/099
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1881-1994
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.72 linear metres (192 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Andrew, Willesden | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint Andrew, Willesden was created out of the parish of Saint Mary, Willesden, in 1880. A permanent mission church (later used as an Infants' School) was erected in 1882, replacing an earlier iron church. The present church was consecrated in 1887 and extended, with the addition of a nave and aisles, in 1897.

Saint Andrew's Church of England School opened as a High School in 1884; elementary schools for boys and girls were added in 1888-89. Steps towards uniting the parish with that of Saint Francis of Assisi, Willesden, began in 1976, when the incumbent of Saint Francis was appointed "priest in charge" of Saint Andrew's. The benefices were united in 1983 and the two parishes were formally joined in 1991, becoming the parish of Saint Andrew and Saint Francis of Assisi, Willesden.

This series includes two registers for Saint John the Baptist, Dudden Hill Lane, Willesden, a mission church of Saint Andrew's which appears to have closed in the early 1950's (see DRO/099/191-192). Baptisms at Saint John the Baptist's are also entered in DRO/099/6-14. DRO/099/1-2 and DRO/099/5 include baptisms at Saint Gabriel, Walm Lane, Cricklewood, a mission church which became an independent parish in 1898.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Andrew, Willesden, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriages, confirmations and church services; orders of service; papers relating to parish mergers; photographs of the church, clergy and other staff, and church activities; papers regarding the maintenance of church buildings; Vestry meeting minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; other Committee minutes; financial accounts; minutes of School Managers and School Governors; papers relating to the school including school building maintenance, inspection reports, correspondence, photographs and staffing; papers of church societies and clubs; parish magazines; newspaper cuttings; and histories.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

DRO/099/001-044: Parish Registers; DRO/099/045-190: Other Parish Records; DRO/099/191-192: Registers for Saint John the Baptist, Dudden Hill Lane.

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm or have restrictions on them. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in two accessions, both in September 1994.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Later registers are in the custody of the incumbent of Saint Andrew and Saint Francis of Assisi, Willesden. Records of the united parish from 1991 are listed with this series; for records of Saint Francis pre-1991, see DRO/100.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"