AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT JAMES, MUSWELL HILL: SAINT JAMES' ROAD, HARINGEY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/049
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT JAMES, MUSWELL HILL: SAINT JAMES' ROAD, HARINGEY
Date(s): 1829-1977
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.63 linear metres (350 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Muswell Hill | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

St James' Church was built as a chapel of ease to St Mary, Hornsey for the benefit of the inhabitants of Muswell Hill. It was consecrated on 25 July 1842 and in 1843 it was assigned a consolidated chapelry. The original chapel soon became too small for the growing population of Muswell Hill. It was enlarged in 1874 and further extensions were necessary by the 1890s. In 1900 the old church was demolished and a much larger church was built partly on the site of the old church and partly on the grounds of the the vicarage. The new church was completed in 1910 with the construction of the tower and spire. The church was badly damaged by bombing on 19 April 1941. Temporary repairs allowed the congregation to return to St James' Church in April 1944. The church was restored after the War and was rededicated by the Bishop of London on 24 October 1952. The daughter parish of St Matthew, Muswell Hill, formed out of St James' parish in 1939, was reunited with St James in 1979.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint James, Muswell Hill, including register of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage, preachers and church services; Vestry minutes; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers regarding the maintenance of church buildings including architect's drawings; correspondence; financial accounts; annual reports; papers of charities; papers of Saint James' School; parish magazines; photographs; press cuttings; orders of service, programmes and prayer cards; and papers of the Prayer Book Mission.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in one series: DRO/049-1: Parish Records.

Conditions governing access:

Files DRO/049/001-026 are not available for consultation, please use microfilm copies. File DRO 49/185 is unfit for production.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office on 22 February 1982.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING