AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARTIN, RUISLIP: HIGH STREET, RUISLIP, HILLINGDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/019
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARTIN, RUISLIP: HIGH STREET, RUISLIP, HILLINGDON
Date(s): 1689-1993
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 7.2 linear metres (330 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Martin, Ruislip | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Ruislip was situated in the north-west of Middlesex, bordered by Hertfordshire, Northolt, Ickenham and Harefield. Parish officers included constables, overseers of the poor and churchwardens. The overseers managed the parish house from 1670 and ran a scheme for schooling of pauper children. By the late 18th century the Vestry was responsible for most local administration. Meetings were held around 5 times a year. Poor relief organised by the Vestry included provision of clothing, apprenticing of poor children, management of almshouses and a workhouse, handling removal and bastardy cases, and supply of outdoor relief.

The first recorded mention of a parish church is in 1190. The church of St Martin served the whole parish until 1854 when the parish of Holy Trinity was formed from parts of Ruislip, Rickmansworth and Watford. Further parishes were formed later: Emmanuel parish in 1909; St Lawrence parish, Eastcote, in 1931; St Paul parish, Ruislip Manor in 1936 and St Mary parish in 1952.

The church, along with Ruislip manor, belonged to the Abbey of Bec from the late 11th century. The advowson passed to the Crown in 1404, and in 1421 the patronage of Ruislip church was granted to St George's Chapel, Windsor, who still held the addvowson in 1962. A vicar is recorded from the 14th century. The church building dates to the 13th century, with various later additions and restorations.

From: 'Ruislip: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 127-144. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Martin, Ruislip, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage, confirmation, graves, offerings and church services; Churchwardens' papers including accounts, correspondence and papers regarding the maintenance of the church; Vestry meeting minutes; minutes, accounts and correspondence of the Parochial Church Council; papers of the Overseers of the Poor including accounts, valuations, settlement, bastardy and apprenticeship orders and papers regarding the workhouse; papers of parish officers including the constable and the surveyors of highways; papers of related organisations including the Bishop Winnington Ingram School, the Friends of Saint Martin's, and Bishop Ramsey School; photographs; and papers of the War Emergency Committee (First World War).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

DRO/19/A: Incumbent;
DRO/19/B: Churchwardens;
DRO/19/C: Vestry;
DRO/19/D: Parochial Church Council;
DRO/19/E: Overseers of the Poor;
DRO/19/F: Constable;
DRO/19/G: Surveyors of the Highways;
DRO/19/H: Bishop Winnington Ingram School;
DRO/19/I: Friends of St Martin's;
DRO/19/J: Social Activites;
DRO/19/K: Miscellaneous;
DRO/19/L: Bishop Ramsey School.

Conditions governing access:

Some files are only available on microfilm. Please check access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited by the Incumbent, 27 February 1969, 25 March 1986, 12 November 1986, 21 May 1991 and April 2004.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING