AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P79/MTW
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1869-1969
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.69 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Matthew, Upper Clapton | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The district of Saint Matthew Upper Clapton was constituted on 19 May 1866 and a temporary Iron Church was opened on 1 August 1866. The foundation stone of the permanent church was laid on 21 September 1867, and the church, the architect of which was Francis Dollman, was consecrated on 5 April 1869. This church, which was situated in Warwick Grove, was declared redundant in January 1977 after being badly damaged by fire and the Church Hall next door, which opens into Mount Pleasant Lane, was converted into a church. In 1972 the parish entered into a group ministry with Saint Thomas, Clapton Common (P79/MTW) and Saint Michael and All Angels, Stoke Newington Common (P94/MAA). After the fire of 1977 the parish became a plurality with Saint Thomas Clapton Common, keeping its own Parochial Church Council and registers but sharing a vicar. Then in 1983 a priest-in-charge was appointed to the parish.

There were two mission chapels in the parish: Holy Trinity Chapel, Lea Bridge, built in 1877 and the Mission of the Good Shepherd, High Hill Ferry built circa 1879.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Matthew, Upper Clapton, including registers of baptisms, registers of marriages; register of preachers and readers; register of church services; photographs of the church interior and exterior; Parochial Church Council minutes; parish magazines; and published histories of the parish.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited on 18 December 1984 and 30 June 1986.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"