AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CHRIST CHURCH, HARROW: ROXETH HILL, HARROW

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/182
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CHRIST CHURCH, HARROW: ROXETH HILL, HARROW
Date(s): 1862-2002
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, Roxeth, Harrow | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Christ Church, Roxeth was built in 1862 and had a capacity of 350 people. The building was designed and built by George Gibert Scott, who would later be knighted. The church consisted of a chancel, nave, transepts, north aisle and a tower with a small spire, a later addition to the church was a south aisle which was added in 1866. The building underwent restoration work between 1953 and 1954, this was carried out by G.H. Jenkins.

Christ Church became a district chapelry in 1863, it was created from the mother parish of Harrow and bordering the new chapelry of St John the Evangelist in Wembley. There was a perpetual curate at the church until 1873 when a vicar was appointed. Between 1963 and 1964 the church was served by a vicar and a curate. The patronage was originally exercised by trustees and in 1963-4 by the Church Patronage Society. During the early 1980's church attendance declined and the parishes of Christ Church and St Peter's amalgamated to become The Parish of Christ Church, Roxeth and St Peter, Harrow.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971) pp 257-260

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Christ Church, Roxeth, Harrow, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriages, confirmations and church services; inventories of church fittings; Parochial Church Council minutes; electoral rolls; papers of the Churchwardens; financial accounts; papers relating to parochial charities; papers of the Roxeth Men's Service Committee.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Listed in accordance with LMA Listing guidelines and classification scheme introduced October 2007. Arranged by sub-fonds then into series and (where appropriate) sub-series; thereafter files are listed in chronological order by creation date.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in December 2008.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See DRO/183 for Saint Peter's, Harrow.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING