AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT PANCRAS OLD CHURCH: PANCRAS ROAD, CAMDEN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P90/PAN2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT PANCRAS OLD CHURCH: PANCRAS ROAD, CAMDEN
Date(s): 1848-1985
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.46 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Pancras, Pancras Road | Church of England x St Pancras Old Church

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Pancras was a parish before the Norman Conquest of 1066. It is said to occupy the site of a Roman Camp, the old church was erected around 1180. It was enlarged and almost rebuilt in 1848 and again restored in 1888. The burial ground has been a place of Christian burial for over 700 years, being at times favoured by Roman Catholics and in particular French exiles, a factor said to be attributable to the church's dedication to the Roman martyr Pancratius.

In 1822 a new parish church was completed in Euston Road, reducing the Old Church to the status of a parish chapel. In 1863 the latter regained its status as the principal church of a new parish. The two parishes are referred to separately as Saint Pancras, Pancras Road (ie the Old Church, but a new parish) and Saint Pancras, Euston Road (ie the new church completed in 1822, but the old parish). Records dated 1660-1822 therefore relate to Saint Pancras Old Church when it was the main parish church of the ancient parish of Saint Pancras. Records of Saint Pancras Old Church dated 1863 onwards refer to the new, smaller and separate parish assigned to this church after that date. See also P90/PAN1.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Saint Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road, including registers of baptisms and marriages; registers of church services; orders of service; papers relating to parish boundaries and the benefice; photographs of the church; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; histories; and parish magazines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records were deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives in 1961.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING