AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/ANL
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1539-1965
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.77 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Antholin, Budge Row, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Antholin was an ancient church, which was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666. The parish was united with Saint John the Baptist Walbrook (P69/JNB), and the church was rebuilt by Wren in 1678. It was described as one of his finest buildings, but was destroyed in 1875 after the parish was merged with the united parish of Saint Mary Aldermary (P69/MRY2) and Saint Thomas Apostle (P69/TMS1). The money made from the sale of the site was put towards the construction of Saint Antholin, Peckham, and the reredos was transferred to the new church. Part of the spire was sold to the Forest Hill Social Club and stands in their garden.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Antholin, Budge Row, City of London. Parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials) survive from 1539, churchwardens' accounts and vestry minutes date from 1574 and 1648 respectively. Also overseers' accounts; register of parish apprentices; papers relating to the maintenance of the church building; church rate, tithe rate and poor rate assessments; and papers relating to the Saint Antholin lectureship charity.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been arranged in sections as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

48 hours notice required for access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1893. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

The most recent deposits for each parish are as follows: St Mary Aldermary, 1954; St Thomas Apostle, 1997; St Antholin Budge Row, 1953; and St John the Baptist Walbrook, 1948.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with mother church Saint Mary Aldermary (P69/MRY3), Saint Thomas Apostle (P69/TMS), and Saint John the Baptist Walbrook (P69/JNB). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of three of the four parishes was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1583-1854 (St Mary Aldermary), 1667-1751 (St John the Baptist Walbrook) and 1694-1796 (St Thomas Apostle), have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"