AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY AT LAMBETH: LAMBETH ROAD, LAMBETH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/MRY1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY AT LAMBETH: LAMBETH ROAD, LAMBETH
Date(s): 1538-1972
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 26.18 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary at Lambeth | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Mary at Lambeth was the ancient parish church of Lambeth. The original foundation existed before the Norman conquest. The church had a unique position as it was placed so close to Lambeth Palace, the London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and many of its rectors also held positions in the Archbishops' household. The medieval building was demolished and rebuilt in 1851 to the designs of Philip Charles Hardwick. Some of the old stones and features were incorporated into the new building. As the population of Lambeth expanded in the nineteenth century it became necessary to reduce the size of the parish of Saint Mary and create new, smaller parishes. This process began in 1824 with the construction of the churches of Saint John the Evangelist and Saint Luke, West Norwood. Saint Mary at Lambeth church was closed in October 1972.

Source of information: 'Church of St Mary, Lambeth', Survey of London: volume 23: Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall (1951), pp. 104-117.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary at Lambeth, Lambeth Road, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; church services registers; legal documents relating to property ownership; papers relating to parish boundaries and the creation of new parishes and tithes.

Records of the Overseers of the Poor; minutes of the Workhouse Committee and other papers relating to the Workhouse; minutes of the Select Vestry; poor rate books; records of poor relief payments; settlement examinations; removal orders (to and from Lambeth); bastardy examinations; register of poor-law apprentices; minutes of the Surveyors of the Highways.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1950, 1965, 1971, 1972 and 1974.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING