AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT CLEMENT, EASTCHEAP: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/CLE
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT CLEMENT, EASTCHEAP: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1539-1964
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.28 linear metres (380 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Clement Eastcheap, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parishes of Saint Clement Eastcheap and Saint Martin Orgar:

The church of Saint Clement Eastcheap was first mentioned in the 11th century, Saint Martin Orgar in the 12th century. Saint Martin's was granted by Deacon Ordgar to the Canons of Saint Paul's Cathedral. Saint Clement's was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and rebuilt by Wren in 1686. Saint Martin Orgar was destroyed, apart from the tower, in the Great Fire and the two parishes were united in 1670, with worship taking place in Saint Clement's.

After the Great Fire, the tower of Saint Martin Orgar was restored by French Protestants who used it as a place of worship. It was taken down in 1820, and replaced, in 1852, by an Italiante tower, still extant, which was initially used as a rectory for Saint Clement Eastcheap, and subsequently as diocesan offices. Saint Clement Eastcheap was damaged by bombing in 1940 but was restored. It is situated at the corner of Clement's Lane and King William Street.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Clement Eastcheap, City of London. They include parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials and banns), vestry minutes, churchwardens' accounts, plans, papers of the overseers of the poor, poor and tithe rate books, and material relating to parish charities and estates.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

As the archive is large and complex, and to assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers, B Vestry and parish officers, C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists, D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records have been deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section at various dates since 1901. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

P69/MTN2 - Saint Martin Orgar.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING