AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT GREGORY BY SAINT PAUL: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/GRE
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT GREGORY BY SAINT PAUL: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1559-1947
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.35 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Gregory by St Paul, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint Gregory by Saint Paul was first mentioned in 1010. The church stood at the south west corner of Saint Paul's Cathedral. Whilst building the new cathedral portico, Inigo Jones partially demolished the church, but was compelled to restore it. It was destroyed by the Great Fire and not rebuilt. The parish was united with Saint Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street in 1670.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

The archive of St Gregory by St Paul includes parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials, banns) from 1559, but the main archive dates from the 17th century. It includes Vestry minutes, parish notices, Churchwardens' accounts, plans, registers of parish apprentices; poor rate books and tithe rate assessments.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

P69/GRE/A: Parish Registers; P69/GRE/B: Vestry and Parish Officers; P69/GRE/C: Rate Assessments and Inhabitants Lists; P69/GRE/D: Charities and Estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1904. The most recent deposit was in 1990. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Parish united to St Martin Ludgate; P69/MTN1.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING