AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MICHAEL, CROOKED LANE: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MIC3
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MICHAEL, CROOKED LANE: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1538-1949
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.28 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Michael, Crooked Lane, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The first recorded mention of St Magnus the Martyr is in 1067. The present church was rebuilt in 1671-76. The parish of St Margaret New Fish Street was united with St Magnus the Martyr following the destruction of their church in the Great Fire of 1666.

Saint Michael Crooked Lane is first mentioned in 1271. It was extended in the 14th century by William Walworth, the Lord Mayor who stabbed rebel Wat Tyler. The church was burned down during the Great Fire of London in 1666; but was rebuilt by Wren in 1684-89. In 1831 the church was demolished as part of the construction of King William Street and the parish was also united with St Magnus the Martyr.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Michael, Crooked Lane, City of London including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and banns; vestry minutes; Churchwardens' accounts; papers relating to parish poor relief; rate books; deeds and other documents relating to parish property.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records, which date from 1472, have been deposited by the parish of St Magnus the Martyr at various dates since 1903. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United under Saint Magnus the Martyr (P69/MAG).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING