AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT ANDREW HUBBARD: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/AND3
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT ANDREW HUBBARD: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1454-1947
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.63 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Andrew Hubbard, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parishes of Saint Mary at Hill, Saint Andrew Hubbard, Saint George Botolph Lane and Saint Botolph Billingsgate:

The churches of Saint Botolph and Saint Andrew Hubbard were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. The parish of Saint Mary at Hill was united to the parish of Saint Andrew Hubbard in 1670. The parish of Saint George Botolph Lane was united to the parish of Saint Botolph Billingsgate in 1670. The united parishes of Saint George and Saint Botolph were joined with the united parishes of Saint Mary and Saint Andrew in 1901; and the church of Saint George was demolished in 1903-4.

The church of Saint Andrew Hubbard is first mentioned in records in 1202. The name Hubbard probably derives from a benefactor. The church was repaired in 1630 only to be destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was not rebuilt; and in 1670 the parish was united with Saint Mary at Hill (P69/MRY4). A plaque at 16 Eastcheap marks the site of the church.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

The records of St Andrew Hubbard include parish registers (baptisms, burials, marriages) from 1538, vestry minutes from 1600, poor rate assessments, and churchwardens' accounts from 1454.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been arranged in sections as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of all four parishes (St Mary at Hill, St Andrew Hubbard, St George Botolph Lane and St Botolph Billingsgate), including those of united parishes, have been deposited in Guildhall Library at various dates since 1901. The most recent deposit was in 1989. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint George Botolph Lane (P69/GEO). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the united parishes was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to the gifts and bequests of St Botolph Billingsgate, 1670-1731, have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/22]. A schedule of deeds is available.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING