AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT NICHOLAS ACONS: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/NIC1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT NICHOLAS ACONS: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1539-1949
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.43 linear metres (79 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Nicholas Acons, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Nicholas Acons was built in 1084 for Malmesbury Abbey. 'Acons' is probably a corruption of 'Haakon', a benefactor. The church was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666 and was not rebuilt. The parish of Saint Edmund the King and Martyr was united to the parish of Saint Nicholas Acons in 1670. The parish of Saint Benet Gracechurch was united to the parish of Saint Leonard Eastcheap in 1670.

The united parishes of Saint Benet Gracechurch and Saint Leonard Eastcheap were united to the parish of All Hallows Lombard Street in 1864. The parish of Saint Dionis Backchurch was joined to All Hallows Lombard Street and united parishes in 1876. These united parishes were joined to the united parishes of Saint Edmund the King and Martyr and Saint Nicholas Acons in 1937 to form Saint Edmund the King and Martyr and united parishes.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Nicholas Acons, Cannon Street, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; Vestry minute books; Churchwardens' accounts and vouchers; drawings of boundary marks of the parishes; Overseers' books of receipts and payments; poor rate, church rate and tithe rate assessments.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

P69/NIC1/A: Parish Registers; P69/NIC1/B: Vestry and Parish Officers; P69/NIC1/C: Rate Assessments and Inhabitants Lists; P69/NIC1/D: Charities and Estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of all the parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since the 1920s. The most recent deposits for each parish are as follows: All Hallows Lombard Street and St Edmund the King and Martyr, 2001; St Benet Gracechurch, 1999; St Dionis Backchurch, 1994; St Nicholas Acons, 1993; and St Leonard Eastcheap, 1964. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

St Edmund King and Martyr (P69/EDK).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING