AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT CLEMENT, BARNSBURY: WESTBOURNE ROAD, ISLINGTON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/CLE
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT CLEMENT, BARNSBURY: WESTBOURNE ROAD, ISLINGTON
Date(s): 1857-1979
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.73 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Clement, Barnsbury | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Clement's church was formed in 1862 from Saint James, Lower Holloway. It was founded by George Cubitt. M.P. to be less evangelical than other local churches. The main church building was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in an Early English style.

In 1966, an agreement was drawn up between the Diocese of London with Saint Clement Anglican Church and the Greek Orthodox Church. The agreement stated that the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint John the Baptist would have unrestricted use of the main church building.The church hall, which was damaged in the Second World War and rebuilt in 1956, would remain with Saint Clement Anglican church. Consequently, part of the church hall was converted and used as an Anglican chapel.

In 1973, Saint Clement's claimed to be the only Anglo-Catholic church in the area.

In 1977 Saint Clement's Anglican Church united with Saint David, West Holloway to form the parish 'Saint David with Saint Clement'.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Clement, Barnsbury, Islington, including baptism registers (1857-1976); marriage registers (1865-1976), banns of marriage registers (1910-1977), confirmation registers (1931-1970), service registers (1865-1977); correspondence related to church personnel; papers relating to church buildings, the Cloudesley Charity, the Saint Clement Primary School, the Women's Fellowship, the Scouts and the Church Lads Brigade; annual accounts and balance sheets; deeds; Parochial Church Council Minutes; and Standing Committee Minutes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Listed in accordance with LMA listing guidelines and classification scheme introduced October 2007. Arranged by sub-fonds then into series; thereafter files are listed in chronological order by creation date.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in July 1977 and April 1994.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=2310. Date accessed: 15 August 2008.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING