AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT ANDREW UNDERSHAFT: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/AND4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT ANDREW UNDERSHAFT: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1348-1975
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 18.8 linear metres (874 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Andrew Undershaft, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Andrew Undershaft is first mentioned in 1147, under the name Saint Anderw Cornhill. The name 'Undershaft' derived from a tall maypole which used to stand beside the church. The church was rebuilt in 1520-1532, and was repaired in 1627 and altered at various points subsequently, including 1830 and 1875. The building was not damaged during the Great Fire of London or the Second World War. Historian John Stow is buried here.

The parish of Saint Andrew Undershaft was united with Saint Mary Axe in 1561. There are no surviving archives of Saint Mary Axe, except for two items concerning the uniting of the parish with Saint Andrew Undershaft (Ms 4138 and 4148). In 1954 the parish was united with the parishes of Saint Katherine Cree and Saint James Duke's Place, which had united in 1873.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Andrew Undershaft, Leadenhall Street, City of London, including parish registers (baptisms, burials, marriages and banns), financial accounts, rate assessments, overseers' papers including papers relating to the workhouse, deeds and rentals, faculties, drawings and plans, parish magazines, records of the Parochial Church Council, and records of charities and estates.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been arranged in sections as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records have been acquired by the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with St James Duke's Place (P69/JS1) and St Katharine Cree (P69/KAT2).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING