AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/DUN2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1516-1978
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 16.15 linear metres (419 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Dunstan in the West, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of St Dunstan in the West was first mentioned in 1185. The church escaped the Great Fire of London and in commemoration of its survival the famous clock, with its two figures with clubs who strike the hour, was erected. In 1760, when the nearby Ludgate was demolished, the statue of Queen Elizabeth I which had stood on the gate was placed above the church door. The church was taken down in 1830 so that Fleet Street could be widened, and was replaced the following year by the present building, an octagonal design by John Shaw, in gothic style. The clock was sold to the Marquess of Hertford, but was restored to the church in 1935 by Lord Rothermere. In 1954 Saint Dunstan's became a guild church, with one chapel reserved for use by the Russian Orthodox Church.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Dunstan in the West, Fleet Steet, City of London. The records include parish registers (baptisms, marriages, banns, burials), Vestry minutes and Churchwardens' accounts, rate assessments and rentals, deeds and legal papers and records relating to the parish schools.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: P69/DUN2/A Parish registers; P69/DUN2/B Vestry and parish officers; P69/DUN2/C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; P69/DUN2/D Charities and estates; P69/DUN2/E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1922. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"