AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT HELEN, KENSINGTON: SAINT HELEN'S GARDENS, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P84/HEL
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT HELEN, KENSINGTON: SAINT HELEN'S GARDENS, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Date(s): 1864-1965
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.79 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Helen, Kensington | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The first vicar was the Reverend Arthur Delgano Robinson, a prominent local philanthropic clergyman, who also founded Saint Clement's Church. He established a school for the children of the local potteries workers, who were notoriously poverty-stricken.

Saint Helen's was built in 1881 by H. Currey and dedicated on 15th January 1884. The church was hit by a flying bomb and destroyed during World War II and rebuilt during 1954-6 and rededicated on 6th July 1956. The ancillary buildings: the vicarage, church hall, parish room and stores are clustered round the church. The church has an organ case and stained class by Sir J. Ninian Comper, the architect's father, and pews by Richard Norman Shaw which were orginally from Holy Trinity, Latimer Road, Hammersmith. The parish was united with Holy Trinity in 1951. The church has developed a strong tradition for children's and youth work.

In April 2000 the parish boundary was extended to include the Delgano estate with Saint Francis Mission Chapel and Saint Francis House.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Helen, Kensington, including registers of baptisms and marriages; church services registers; papers relating to parish boundaries; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; register of attendances at Church Boy's Club; faculties and citations relating to church fittings; and deeds and other legal documents relating to parish property.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited on 14 June 1963. Additional parish records deposited by the vicar on 16 November 1981.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

See The Notting Hill & Holland Park Book, Tames, Richard, (2004), LMA Library reference 92.11 NOT; and Survey of London", Volume XXXVII, (1972), LMA Library reference 92.1 GLC.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING