AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MAGNUS THE MARTYR: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MAG
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MAGNUS THE MARTYR: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1538-1978
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 7.85 linear metres (920 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Magnus the Martyr, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The first recorded mention of Saint Magnus the Martyr is in 1067. The present church was rebuilt in 1671-76. It is situated on Lower Thames Street. The parish of Saint Margaret New Fish Street was united with Saint Magnus the Martyr following the destruction of the church in the Great Fire of 1666.

The church of Saint Michael Crooked Lane was rebuilt after the Great Fire, between 1684-89, but was eventually demolished in 1831, to make way for King William Street, and the parish was also united with Saint Magnus the Martyr.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Magnus the Martyr, Lower Thames Street, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns, preachers and church services; Vestry minute books; Churchwardens' accounts and vouchers; papers relating to parish poor relief; poor rate books; church rate books; tithe rate assessment books; leases, deeds and other papers relating to properties owned by the parish.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records have been deposited by the parish of St Magnus the Martyr at various dates since 1903. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Margaret New Fish Street (P69/MGT3) and Saint Michael Crooked Lane (P69/MIC3).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING