AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/GEO
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1577-1948
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.08 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St George, Botolph Lane, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parishes of Saint Mary at Hill, Saint Andrew Hubbard, Saint George Botolph Lane and Saint Botolph Billingsgate:

Saint George Botolph Lane is first mentioned in 1180. It was repaired in 1360 and 1627, but was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was rebuilt by Wren using rubble from Saint Paul's Cathedral; but was declared unsafe in 1903 and demolished.

The churches of Saint Botolph and Saint Andrew Hubbard were also destroyed in the Great Fire. The parish of Saint Mary at Hill was united to the parish of Saint Andrew Hubbard in 1670. The parish of Saint George Botolph Lane was united to the parish of Saint Botolph Billingsgate in 1670. The united parishes of Saint George and Saint Botolph were joined with the united parishes of Saint Mary and Saint Andrew in 1901.

Some information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint George, Botolph Lane, City of London. The main archive dates from the 16th century, including parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials, banns) from 1546 and vestry minutes and churchwardens' accounts from 1590. Also poor rate and tithe rate assessment books.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

P69/GEO/A: Parish Registers; P69/GEO/B: Vestry and Parish Officers; P69/GEO/C: Rate Assessments and Inhabitants Lists; P69/GEO/D: Charities and Estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of all four parishes, including those of united parishes, have been deposited in Guildhall Library at various dates since 1901. The most recent deposit was in 1989. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Mary at Hill (P69/MRY4), Saint Andrew Hubbard (P69/AND3) and Saint Botolph Billingsgate (P69/BOT3). They have been catalogued over many years by various members of staff In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the united parishes was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to the gifts and bequests of St Botolph Billingsgate, 1670-1731, have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/22].

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"