AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ALL SAINTS, NOTTING HILL: TALBOT ROAD, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P84/ALL
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ALL SAINTS, NOTTING HILL: TALBOT ROAD, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Date(s): 1861-1951
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.67 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Saints, Notting Hill | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

All Saints church, Notting Hill, was originally dedicated to Saint Ann. The building was built after the model of Saint Columb Major in Cornwall to the design of William White. The building was completed in 1855, but because of shortage of money, it was left without glass or furniture until 1861. During the 4 or 5 years while it remained semi-derelict surrounded by half completed houses, it was referred to as 'All Saints in the Mud'.

The church was severely damaged in the Second World War: on 29 September 1940 an incendiary bomb followed by a high explosive bomb destroyed the Lady Chapel and the tracery of the East windows was shattered, the roof damaged and the high altar wrecked. Restoration was completed in 1951 by Milner and Craze. The pulpit and Lady Chapel were restored by Sir J. Ninian Comper.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of All Saints, Notting Hill, comprising registers of baptisms; registers of marriages and memoirs Thirty Years at All Saints Notting Hill by Reverend JHC Twisaday.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in June 1970.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Photographs of both the exterior and interior are to be found in the Survey of London Volume 37: North Kensington, LMA Library reference 92.1. See also Notting Hill in Bygone Days (Florence Gladstone & Ashley Barker) LMA Library reference 92.11(NOT); Buildings of England Volume 2 (Pevsner) LMA Library reference 67.0 and A Guide to the Parish Churches of London (Charles Mackerson) LMA Library reference 53.0.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING