AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY AT HILL: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MRY4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY AT HILL: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1418-1988
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 7.86 linear metres (556 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary at Hill, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parishes of Saint Mary at Hill, Saint Andrew Hubbard, Saint George Botolph Lane and Saint Botolph Billingsgate:

Saint Mary at Hill was founded in the 12th century. It was damaged during the Great Fire of 1666 and was rebuilt to designs by Wren. Further restorations took place in 1787, 1827, 1848 and the 1990s, the latter two restorations following fires.

The churches of Saint Botolph and Saint Andrew Hubbard were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. The parish of Saint Mary at Hill was united to the parish of Saint Andrew Hubbard in 1670. The parish of Saint George Botolph Lane was united to the parish of Saint Botolph Billingsgate in 1670. The united parishes of Saint George and Saint Botolph were joined with the united parishes of Saint Mary and Saint Andrew in 1901; and the church of Saint George was demolished in 1903-4.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary at Hill, Lovat Lane, Church of England, including parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials and banns) from 1558, vestry minutes from 1609 and churchwardens' accounts and vouchers from 1422. Also lists of preachers; financial accounts; administrative papers; poor rate books; tithe rate assessments and parish estate rental books.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
Latin and English.

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers B Vestry and parish officers C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of all four parishes, including those of united parishes, have been deposited in Guildhall Library at various dates since 1901. The most recent deposit was in 1989. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint George Botolph Lane (P69/GEO).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING