AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARGARET MOSES: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MGT2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARGARET MOSES: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1547-1907
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.59 linear metres (113 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of Saint Margaret Moses, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish church of Saint Margaret Moses, Friday Street, was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666; and the parish was united to the parish of Saint Mildred Bread Street in 1670. The parish church of Saint Mildred Bread Street was destroyed by enemy action in 1941. Both parishes are now part of the united benefice of Saint Mary le Bow.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

The records of the parish of Saint Margaret Moses include parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials) from 1558, churchwardens' accounts from 1547, Vestry minutes from 1716 and poor rate assessments from 1876.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The surviving archives of both parishes and of the united parishes have been deposited in Guildhall Library at various dates since the 1930s. The most recent deposit was in 2006. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of St Mary le Bow, St Pancras Soper Lane and All Hallows Honey Lane was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests (St Mary le Bow, 1668-1799); St Pancras Soper Lane, 1671-1778; All Hallows Honey Lane, 1669) have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/5, 78-79, 125].


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING