AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT JUDE, SOUTH KENSINGTON: COURTFIELD GARDENS, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P84/JUD
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT JUDE, SOUTH KENSINGTON: COURTFIELD GARDENS, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Date(s): 1870-2006
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.61 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Jude, South Kensington | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Jude's was one of three churches designed by George and Henry Godwin and built on the Gunter Estate. Usually a new church was the culmination of a building development but Saint Jude preceded the houses. Some members of Anglican Low Church were dismayed by the spread of ritualistic services in the new parishes and determined to build their own church in Courtfield Gardens. It was funded largely by John Derby Allcroft, a glove manufacturer. The church was described in a survey of religious buildings in the 1870's as standing out 'boldly, treeless and alone, it has within three months collected one of the largest congregations around London'. The original plain interior was embellished by Clayton and Bell stained glass windows, Minton and majolica tiling and an alabaster and marble reredos and pulpit. Much of it was lost by bombing in 1940 but restored to its original state. In 2006, Saint Jude merged with Saint Mary the Boltons.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Jude, South Kensington, including baptism registers (1870 - 1982), marriage registers (1872 - 1964), banns of marriage registers (1873 - 2005), confirmations registers (1892 - 2006), marriage notice books (1946 - 1971), service registers/ preachers' books, annual vestry and parochial church meeting minutes, parochial church council minutes, finance committee minutes, electoral roll, annual accounts and balance sheets, ledgers, cash books, pew rent account books, pew rent registers, parish magazines, and a visitors' book.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited by the Incumbent, 27 January 1992; with a further accession in January 2010.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

The Kensington Book, Starren, Carolyn (2006), LMA Library reference 92.1 STA.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010; with additions in November 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING