AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/CTC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1846-1979
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.88 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, Highbury Grove | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Christ Church, Highbury Grove, was consecrated on 12 October 1848, following discussions by local residents from 1846 onwards. The parish was formed in 1849 from part of Islington parish. Parts of it were later assigned to Saint Augustine, Highbury, and Saint John, Highbury. The church was constructed in 1847, designed by Thomas Allom in the Decorated style, following an usual floor plan with a central octagon. The parish was united with Saint John, Highbury, in 1979 and with Saint Saviour, Aberdeen Park, in 1981.

A combined chapel and school opened in 1836 was taken over by Christ Church which handed it over as a girls' school and boys' school to Saint John, Highbury Park, in 1883.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Christ Church, Highbury Grove, Islington, including registers of baptisms and marriages; preachers' books; maps of parish boundaries; papers relating to church buildings including the church, mission hall and vicarage; financial records; and history of the Highbury Vale Schools.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the vicar on 11 May 1984. Records (P83/CTC/32-38) deposited by the vicar, 13 June 1990.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"