AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

EMMANUEL, MAIDA VALE: NORTHWICK TERRACE, WESTMINSTER

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P89/EMM
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: EMMANUEL, MAIDA VALE: NORTHWICK TERRACE, WESTMINSTER
Date(s): 1883-1950
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.71 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Emmanuel, Maida Vale | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Emmanuel Church was built as a proprietary chapel, known as Christ Chapel, in 1833-1834 by Lieutenant Colonel the Honorable James Stewart and Frederick Madan. It was consecrated in 1876 as Emmanuel Church and became a separate parish. The church was damaged by bombing in 1940. Under the scheme for the parochial reorganisation of St Marylebone, confirmed in 1952, Emmanuel Church was closed and the parish was divided between Saint Paul, Lisson Grove (P89/PAU2), Saint Mark, Hamilton Terrace (P89/MRK2), and St John's Wood Church (P89/JN1).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Emmanuel, Northwick Terrace, Maida Vale, including registers of baptisms, marriages and confirmations; records of the Chapel Trustees; Parochial Church Council minutes and accounts; papers of the Infant School and Sunday School; and papers of the District Visiting Society.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records found in the derelict building and deposited in the London County Record Office, 28 November 1952. Additional parish records deposited by the Rector of Christ Church, Cosway Street, in Westminster City Libraries Archives Department, Marylebone Library, in 1971, and transferred to the Greater London Record Office, 18 April 1980 and additional records deposited by the Rector of Christ Church in the Greater London Record Office, 17 December 1981.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING