AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/MTW2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1792-1974
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.51 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Matthew, Denmark Hill | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Matthew's Church was consecrated on 15 July 1848 and a district assigned to it from the parishes of Saint Mark, Kennington, Saint Matthew, Brixton and Saint Giles, Camberwell. It took over the building of the Denmark Hill Chapel which was erected as a proprietary chapel in 1793 close to the village of Camberwell.

On the night of 26 September 1940 the church was destroyed by bombing. Marriages were solemnized in the parish church of Saint Giles, Camberwell, and services were held in King's College Hospital Chapel until June 1941 when a temporary church was set up in the house next door to St Matthew's, number 142 Denmark Hill. In November 1956 the parish was united with Saint Saviour, Herne Hill Road, Saint Saviour's becoming the parish church of the united parish. A new Saint Matthew's Church was built on a site in Lilford Road and was dedicated on 17 May 1961 as a chapel of ease to Saint Saviour's.

Following the bombing, the contents of the church safe were intact, but all other parish records in the church, including the non-current parish registers, were destroyed. For marriage entries before May 1938, the Superintendent Registrar of Lambeth holds a duplicate series of marriage registers. For baptism entries before April 1930, the only surviving record consists of the extracts from the parish registers printed in the parish magazine, copies of which are deposited here for the years 1893-1904, 1909-1914, 1916-1939, reference P85/MTW2/34-64.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Matthew, Denmark Hill, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns, confirmations and church services; papers relating to the foundation and endowment of the church and the creation of the parish; Parochial Church Council minutes; financial accounts; correspondence; papers relating to parish charities; and parish magazines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the vicar in 1979 and 1983.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"