AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT AUGUSTINE, WATLING STREET: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/AUG
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT AUGUSTINE, WATLING STREET: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1559-1954
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.16 linear metres (148 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Augustine, Watling Street, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish church of Saint Augustine Watling Street was on the north side of Watling Street. It was partly rebuilt in 1630-1631. Burnt in the Great Fire of 1666, it was rebuilt by Wren in 1682-1695. Restoration was carried out in 1829 and 1866. It suffered bomb damage in 1940, after which only the tower and spire remained. The tower was restored in 1954 and incorporated into the Saint Paul's Choir School in 1965-1967.

The parish of Saint Faith under Saint Paul was united to the parish of Saint Augustine Watling Street in 1670. They were, in turn, united to the parish of Saint Mary le Bow in 1954.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Augustine, Watling Street, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; preachers' books and church services registers; Vestry and precinct minute books; Churchwardens' and Overseers' financial accounts; poor rate and tithe rate assessment books; and papers relating to the Estate trustees.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes under mother church Saint Mary le Bow have been deposited with the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section at various dates since 1900. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Faith under Saint Paul (P69/FAI). Mother church: Saint Mary Le Bow (P69/MRY7).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING