AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, SAINT PANCRAS: GRAYS INN ROAD, CAMDEN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P90/BAT
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, SAINT PANCRAS: GRAYS INN ROAD, CAMDEN
Date(s): 1860-1959
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.59 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Bartholomew, Grays Inn Road, St Pancras | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Bartholomew's was built in 1811 by voluntary subscription raised by the congregation of William Huntingdon (1744-1813). At its opening the church was given to him as his personal property. The church was used by a number of preachers until in 1837 it came into the possession of a Mr. Davenport who gave it to the Reverend Thomas Mortimer of Saint Marks, Myddleton Square. However, a certificate of lunacy against Mr. Davenport was procured and his Trustees rented the church to Reverend Mortimer for 320 per annum. Mortimer retired in 1849 and Reverend E Garbutt became the new preacher. He managed to buy the chapel and enabled it to be consecrated as a district church by the Bishop of London on 13 Feburary 1860. In April 1959 the parish and benefice were united with the parish of Saint George the Martyr with Holy Trinity, Queen Square, Holborn (P82/GEO2).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Bartholomew, Grays Inn Road, St Pancras, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and confirmations; church services registers; financial accounts; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the Vicar and PCC of St George the Martyr with Holy Trinity, Queen Square, Holborn, in the Greater London Record Office, 7 December 1981.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING