AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT KATHERINE COLEMAN: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/KAT1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT KATHERINE COLEMAN: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1559-1970
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 9.84 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Katherine Coleman, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Katherine Coleman was built before 1346; it is likely that Coleman was the name of the builder. It was situated on Fenchurch Street. It was not damaged during the 1666 Great Fire of London, but needed to be rebuilt in 1739. In 1921 the parish was united to Saint Olave Hart Street (with All Hallows Staining) and the redundant church was demolished in 1926.

The parish of All Hallows Staining was united to the parish of Saint Olave Hart Street in 1870 and the church of All Hallows Staining was demolished in the same year. St Olave Hart Street still exists as a parish church.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Katherine Coleman, Fenchurch Street, City of London. The parish registers (baptisms, marriages, banns) are from 1559, there are vestry minutes from 1659; and Churchwardens' accounts from 1610. There are also papers relating to parish poor relief and papers relating to the collection of poor rates, tithe rates and church rates.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections representing subgroups each with an initial letter code as follows: A Parish registers. B Vestry and parish officers. C Rate assessment and inhabitants lists. D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of the three churches were first deposited in 1901-2 and there have been several later deposits. The most recent deposits for the parishes of All Hallows Staining and St Katherine Coleman were made in 1953. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parish of St Olave Hart Street was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1570-1799, have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation. A schedule of deeds is available on the open shelves in the Reading Room. Please note that 24 hours' notice is required for access to records of the City Parochial Foundation.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING