AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT JAMES THE APOSTLE, ISLINGTON: PREBEND STREET, ISLINGTON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/JSA
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT JAMES THE APOSTLE, ISLINGTON: PREBEND STREET, ISLINGTON
Date(s): 1875-1987
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.68 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James the Apostle, Islington | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint James the Apostle was founded by the City of London Clothworkers' Company, as a replacement for Lambe's chapel on Wood Street Square. A parish was formed in 1875 taken from parts of the parishes of Saint Peter and Saint Philip. The Clothworkers' Company were patrons. The church building was constructed between 1873 and 1875, designed by F.W. Porter. A statue of Lambe from the old chapel was placed in a niche over the door, and 4 Flemish roundels dating to 1577 were also incorporated.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of St James the Apostle, Prebend Street, Islington, including registers of baptisms, marraiges and banns; church services registers; Parochial Church Council minutes; financial accounts; reports; and papers relating to the repair of church buildings.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited by the vicar on 17 November 1983 and 11 December 1986.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING