AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CHRIST CHURCH, NORWOOD: GIPSY HILL, LAMBETH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/CTC1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CHRIST CHURCH, NORWOOD: GIPSY HILL, LAMBETH
Date(s): 1862-1986
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.16 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, Norwood | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The area of Gipsy Hill began to expand rapidly in the 1860s, and a temporary iron church built in 1862 soon became filled to capacity. A larger, permanent building was constructed by 1867, designed by John Giles in a Gothic style. Saint Jude's Mission Church was established in 1880. A tower was added in 1889. The church was rebuilt in 1987 after a fire destroyed the original church, leaving the tower fabric largely untouched.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Christ Church, Gipsy Hill, Norwood, including registers of baptisms, marriages, confirmations and banns; registers of church services; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; records of the Churchwardens; papers relating to the maintenance of the church including faculties; photographs; parish magazines; papers regarding endowments and the benefice; financial records.

Also papers of Saint Jude's Mission Church including preachers' books; account book; and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the vicar on 16 February 1956. Additional parish records deposited 20 August 1982, 23 May 1989 and 3 August 1989.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

See 'Norwood: Churches', in the Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING