AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT CLEMENT, NOTTING HILL: TREADGOLD STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P84/CLE
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT CLEMENT, NOTTING HILL: TREADGOLD STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA
Date(s): 1867-1979
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.15 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Clement, Notting Hill | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint Clement was created from part of the parish of Saint James, Norland, Kensington. The schools were opened in 1866 and the church, designed by J.P. Aubyn, in 1867. It seated 800 and was consecrated by the Bishop of Armagh on 7 May 1867. It is a wide low building of yellow brick with red bands and stone dressings, a large slated roof with a slate-hung belfry turret containing a clock and crowned with a spire. Its principal treasure is the large cartoon of 'Jesus at the Well of Samaria' by Sir Edward Burne-Jones.

The first incumbent was the Reverend Arthur Dalgarno Robinson, curate of Saint Stephen, Shepherds Bush, who remained until 1881. From 1881-1886 the incumbent was the Reverend Edwyn Hoskyns, later to become Bishop of Southwell.

In 1882 the northern part of the parish became part of the parish of Saint Helen.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Clement, Notting Hill, including registers of baptisms, marriages, preachers and church services; financial records; Parochial Church Council records; records of Saint Clement's School, and papers relating to the Mission of the Good Shepherd.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited on 8 April 1963; additional parish records (P84/CLE/80-127) deposited by the Vicar on 3 December 1990.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

See Notting Hill in Bygone Days (Florence Gladstone & Ashley Barker) LMA library reference 92.11(NOT); Survey of London Volume 37: North Kensington, LMA library reference 92.1; and Buildings of England, Volume 2 (Pevsner), LMA Library reference 67.0 1952.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING