AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT BARTHOLOMEW THE LESS: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/BAT4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT BARTHOLOMEW THE LESS: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1890-1908
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.29 linear metres (2 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Bartholomew the Less, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Bartholomew the Less, West Smithfield, was founded in about 1184 as a chapel of Saint Bartholomew's Hospital. It was made a parish church when Henry VIII refounded the hospital. George Dance the Younger remodelled the interior in 1789, while the nave was rebuilt in 1823-25. The church was badly damaged in the Second World War and was reopened after restoration in 1956. Architect Inigo Jones was christened here in 1573; and many doctors and other staff from Saint Bartholomew's Hospital are buried here.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Bartholomew the Less, West Smithfield, City of London, comprising overseers' accounts 1890-1908, and poor rate assessments, 1894-1907.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with an archival classification code as follows: B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The two items held in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library were deposited by the City of London Corporation's Valuation and Rating Department in 1920. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For a land tax assessment of 1837 see Ms 05679 (records of Farringdon Without Ward). Most of the records, including registers from 1547, are held by the Archivist, St Bartholomew's Hospital, West Smithfield, London, EC1A 7BE (available by appointment only). They are described in Archives vol.1, no.5 (1951) pp 22-3. For details of register transcripts and indexes held at Guildhall Library; see City of London Parish Registers: A handlist of parish registers, register transcripts and related records at Guildhall Library.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING