AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARTIN VINTRY: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MTN5
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARTIN VINTRY: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1617-1954
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.43 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Martin Vintry, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parishes of Saint Michael Paternoster Royal, Saint Martin Vintry, All Hallows the Great and All Hallows the Less.

Saint Michael Paternoster Royal is first recorded in 1219. The name Royal comes from the name of a nearby street, Reole. Dick Whittington, who was buried in the church in 1423, paid for the rebuilding of the church in 1409. Burnt in the Great Fire, it was restored by Wren in 1689-94. The interior was rearranged in 1866. The church was bombed in 1944 and restored in 1967.

The parish of Saint Martin Vintry was often originally referred to as Saint Martin Beremand. The church was rebuilt in 1399 by the executors of Matthew Columbar, a vintner from Bordeaux. In the 15th century the church was restored by Sir Ralph Austrie, a fishmonger. It was destroyed by the Great Fire, and the parish was united to Saint Michael Paternoster Royal in 1670.

The church of All Hallows the Great is first mentioned in 1235. It was rebuilt in 1627-9, but burnt in the Great Fire. Wren designed the new church which was built 1677-83. The tower and the north aisle were demolished in 1876 to accommodate the widening of Queen Victoria Street. The tower and vestry were rebuilt on the south side, and these were the only parts that remained after its demolition in 1893, when the parish was united to Saint Michael Paternoster Royal. The tower and vestry were bombed in 1939, and in 1969 Mondial House was built on the site of the churchyard. The church of All Hallows the Less, first mentioned in 1216, stood over the gateway to a large house. It was burnt in the Great Fire, and the parish was united to All Hallows the Great in 1670.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

The archive of Saint Martin Vintry, College Hill, City of London, dates from the 17th century, with parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials) from 1617 and poor rate assessments from 1676. Also Vestry minute books; Churchwardens' accounts and papers relating to poor relief.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The most recent deposit was in 1991. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING