AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/BEN4
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1675-1907
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.29 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Benet Sherehog, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Stephen Walbrook was founded on the west bank of the Walbrook (a stream flowing from Finsbury through the City and into the Thames) sometime before 1096, and rebuilt on the east bank in 1429-39. The church was burned down in the Great Fire of London in 1666, but rebuilt by Christopher Wren in 1672-79. It was badly damaged through bombing in 1940.

The church of Saint Benet Sherehog was built sometime before 1111 in the centre of the wool district, a shere hog being the name for a castrated ram. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt. As a result of this, in 1670 the Parish of Saint Stephen Walbrook was united with Saint Benet Sherehog.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Benet Sherehog, City of London, including Vestry minutes; Churchwardens' accounts and other papers; church rate assessments; poor rate assessments; papers relating to parish charities; and papers relating to parish properties.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

As the archive is large and complex, and to assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections representing sub-groups each was a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records have been deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1891. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also Saint Stephen Walbrook (P69/STE2).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"