AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P87/SIM
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1895-1959
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.73 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Simon, Paddington | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Simon's was constructed in 1898-99. The parish was assigned in the same year, taken from the parishes of Saint John the Evangelist, Hyde Park Corner (P87/JNE1) and Saint Jude, Lancefield Street (P87/JUD). The parishes of Saint Simon, Saint Luke, Fernhead Road, (P87/LUK1) and Saint Jude were united in 1952. Saint Luke's Church became the parish church of the united parish, redesignated as Saint Luke the Evangelist with Saint Simon and Saint Jude. Saint Simon's was closed.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Simon, Saltram Crescent, Paddington, including registers of baptisms, marriages and confirmations; register of church services; minutes and reports of the Parochial Church Council; and financial accounts.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records of St Simon's Church, Saltram Crescent, Paddington, deposited by the vicar in the Marylebone Library, July 1978, and transferred to the LMA on 18 April 1980.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also the records of St Jude, Kensal Green (P87/JUD) and St Luke the Evangelist, Fernhead Road (P87/LUK1). Baptism entries after Feb 1959 are in the register of St Luke (P87/LUK1/8-10).

Publication note:

For further information see 'Paddington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 252-259.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"