AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARTIN, LUDGATE: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MTN1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARTIN, LUDGATE: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1538-1958
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.39 linear metres (293 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Martin Ludgate, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Lying on the north side of Ludgate Hill, the church of Saint Martin Ludgate was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. It was rebuilt by Wren, 1677-1684 and is now a guild church. The church is dedicated to Saint Martin of Tours.

The parish of Saint Gregory by Saint Paul was united with Saint Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street in 1670. The united parish was merged with Saint Martin Ludgate in 1890.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Saint Martin Ludgate, City of London, dateing from the 16th century, including parish registers (marriages, baptisms, burials, banns) from 1538, vestry minutes from 1576 and rate assessments from 1573. Also administrative papers; records of parish poor relief, and papers relating to parish property.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English and Latin.

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes have been deposited in the Manscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates since 1904. The most recent deposit was in 1990. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, reference P69/MRY10 and St Gregory by St Paul P69/GRE.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING