AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P95/IMM
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1854-1966
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.88 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Immanuel, Streatham Common | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

Immanuel church was built in 1854 to the designs of A. Ross, with consecration taking place in October 1854. In 1864-1865 Benjamin Ferrey was responsible for a rebuilding and enlargement of the church building in a Gothic style. Saint Anselm church (P95/ANS) was destroyed during the Second World War and the parish merged with Immanuel parish to form the parish of Immanuel with Saint Anselm. The current church was built in 1988 to the designs of the architect Nigel Melhuish. Following the closure and redundancy of Saint Andrew's church, Lower Streatham (P95/AND2) the two parishes were united and the new church opened as Immanuel and Saint Andrew.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Immanuel, Streatham Common, including baptisms (1854-1965); marriages (1855-1966); banns of marriage (1854-1968); confirmations (1899-1900); church service registers (1859-1960); Vestry minutes (1860-1913); Parochial Church Council minutes (1913-1961); accounts (1931-1968); Immanuel Church School manager's minutes (1937-1961); cash books (1919-1943); correspondence, memoranda, plans and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Listed in accordance with LMA Listing guidelines and classification scheme introduced October 2007. Arranged by sub-fonds then into series and (where appropriate) sub-series; thereafter files are listed in chronological order by creation date.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in April and May 1987.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"