AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MICHAEL BASSISHAW: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MIC1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MICHAEL BASSISHAW: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1538-1947
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 6.34 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Michael Bassishaw, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parishes of Saint Lawrence Jewry, Saint Mary Magdalen Milk Street and Saint Michael Bassishaw:

The parish of Saint Mary Magdalen Milk Street was united to the parish of Saint Lawrence Jewry in 1670 after it had been destroyed in the Great Fire.

In 1897 the foundations of Saint Michael Bassishaw were severely damaged when the crypt was cleared of human remains; the church was demolished and the parish united to the parish of Saint Lawrence Jewry the same year.

Saint Lawrence Jewry now functions as a guild church for the Corporation of London.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

The records of Saint Michael Bassishaw include parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials, banns) from 1538, vestry minutes from 1669 and churchwardens' accounts from 1617. Also papers relating to parish poor relief; poor rate assessments, and deeds and other documents relating to parish property.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English and Latin.

System of arrangement:

To assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections representing subgroups each with an initial letter code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of the three churches have been deposited in Guildhall Library at various dates since the 1920s. The most recent deposit was in 1989. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with Saint Lawrence Jewry, see P69/LAW1. In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parishes of the united parishes was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [St Lawrence Jewry, 1629-1824: Ms 23737/59-64; St Mary Magdalen Milk Street, 1388: Ms 23737/79; St Michael Bassishaw, 1533-1798: Ms 23737/89-96].


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING