AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P85/MIC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1841-2004
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.36 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Michael, Lambeth | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1839 the site of Saint Michael's was donated to the Church Building Commissioners, who had been established by an Act of 1818 to provide more churches, particularly in the expanding metropolis. A design for the church by William Rogers was approved in 1840 and construction was complete by 1841. The church was consecrated in November of that year. A district was assigned to the church in 1845. The church was severely damaged during the Second World War and was re-dedicated in 1952 after its restoration by Thomas F. Ford.

From: 'Stockwell: Stockwell Park Crescent and Stockwell Green areas', Survey of London: volume 26: Lambeth: Southern area (1956), pp. 88-95.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Michael, Lambeth, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and confirmations; registers of church services; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minute books; financial records; papers relating to parish schools, societies and charities; papers relating to the maintenance of church buildings including faculties and citations; maps of the parish and inventory of church plate and furniture.

Covering dates of parish registers: C 1912-2004 M 1936-1971 B 1931-1969.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of St Michael's Church deposited by the vicar in May 1975, June 1975 and October 1975. Additional records deposited in 1983 and 2017.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010. Updated June 2018.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"