AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT GABRIEL, FENCHURCH: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/GAB
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT GABRIEL, FENCHURCH: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1200? - 1961
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.25 linear metres (52 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Gabriel, Fenchurch, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

History of the united parishes of Saint Margaret Pattens and Saint Gabriel Fenchurch:

The first recorded mention of Saint Margaret Pattens is in 1216. The church, which had been rebuilt in 1530 and repaired in 1614-32, was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666. The parish was united with the parish of Saint Gabriel Fenchurch in 1670 and the church was reconstructed by Wren in 1684-7.

Saint Gabriel Fenchurch was originally known as Saint Mary Fenchurch (in 1315), but its name had changed by the end of the 16th century. It was demolished in the Great Fire and not rebuilt. A plaque marks the site, on 35 Fenchurch Street.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Gabriel Fenchurch including parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials) from 1571 (and a fragment of a 13th century biblical manuscript found in the binding of the earliest parish register), vestry minutes from 1693 and churchwardens' accounts from 1765. Also poor and church rate assessment books from 1768.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

As the archive is large and complex, and to assist the user, the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records have been deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section at various dates since 1922. The most recent deposit was in 1996. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United to the Parish of St. Margaret Pattens (Ref: P69/MGT4).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING