AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/ALH8
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1558-1954
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.09 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Hallows the Less, City of London | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of All Hallows the Less, first mentioned in 1216, stood over the gateway to a large house on Upper Thames Street. It was burnt in the Great Fire, and the parish was united to All Hallows the Great (P69/ALH7) in 1670.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of All Hallows the Less, Upper Thames Street, City of London, including parish registers (baptisms, marriages and burials) from 1558; Vestry minute books; Churchwardens' accounts; Overseers' book of receipts and payments; apportionment of tithe rent charges and poor rate assessment books. Some of these records are for joint meetings with the Vestry of All Hallows the Great.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates; E Parish schools.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives of the united parishes of Saint Michael Paternoster Royal have been deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates. The most recent deposit was in 1991. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United under St Michael Paternoster Royal (P69/MIC5) with St. Martin Vintry (P69/MTN5), All Hallows the Great (P69/ALH7). In 1891, the administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of St Michael Paternoster with St Martin Vintry was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests (1648-1854) have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation [Ms 23737/75-76].

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"