AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ALL SAINTS, SAINT MARYLEBONE: MARGARET STREET, WESTMINSTER

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P89/ALL2
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ALL SAINTS, SAINT MARYLEBONE: MARGARET STREET, WESTMINSTER
Date(s): 1898-1928
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Saints, Marylebone | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

All Saints church originated in Margaret Chapel, which was constructed in around 1760. In 1839 the chapel became the centre of the High Church Tractarian Movement, a group which advocated Anglo-Catholicism. It was decided to rebuild the chapel in a Gothic style to reflect the ideals of the movement, and architect William Butterfield was hired to design a new church. The building was constructed between 1850 and 1859 and was praised by critics including Ruskin. A vicarage and choir school were included on the site.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of All Saints, Margaret Street, St Marylebone; comprising registers of baptisms, registers of marriages; registers of banns; and registers of confirmations.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the Vicar in the Greater London Record Office, 10 May 1972.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING